How to save time using Google

Digital Intensive
I learned some basic things that will make my life easier this week.
Gmail - Put Gmail on compact settings and then I  seem to have half as many emails to attend to!
Put a pink flower theme into my Gmail and I feel a lot calmer when writing and answering emails
I don't like the way Gmail nests conversations because I sometimes miss new emails so I can use "conversation view off" and "new mail notifications" on.
The problem is we get into the habit of just doing what has already been set up rather than looking at other possibilities.

Image result for habits

One Tab
I now have the OneTab icon on my computer
"Whenever you find yourself with too many tabs, click the OneTab icon to convert all of your tabs into a list. When you need to access the tabs again, you can either restore them individually or all at once.
When your tabs are in the OneTab list, you will save up to 95% of memory because you will have reduced the number of tabs open in Google Chrome".
In fact you can save the tabs that you have been using for a particular lesson or project so that you can find them all again.


Bookmarks
I tend to have lots of bookmarks all jumbled and falling off the bookmarks bar into an unseen list. I have now learned how to categorise these and put them into folders. These folders appear on my bookmarks bar and I have no overhang!

Copyright
It has always worried me as a photographer that I use Google images assuming they are royalty free but never knowing whether Getty will get me with a huge fine. Now I know how to find royalty free images in Google
Follow these simple steps to find royalty free images using the Google Images advanced search.
  1. Enter a search term in Google Images search.
  2. Click the Gear icon, then select Advanced search.
  3. Scroll down and use the usage rights drop down menu to select free to use or share, even commercially.
So last week's digital intensive session has saved me quite a lot of time and energy and made me more efficient.

Comments

  1. Cheryl really like the way you are documenting your journey. The one tab extension is a great one as the days work expands and the tabs get smaller and smaller at the top of my screen. Great to be able to bring this digital fluency to your mentoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. It has been very interesting to see all of the Google apps that are available. I work with teachers and so don't have a class myself to practise on but handy to know of these things so I can make suggestions when mentoring teachers. Are you using theGoogle apps with a class?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pepeha

Appraisal vs Certification

Digital Intensive Session 1